Saturday 21 April 2012

Artists and Galleries

I also visited a few of the galleries that Bath had to offer to see some artwork based on the city and other locations. The artists that caught my eye were Hannah Cole, Claire Henley and Jeff Rowland.

Hannah Cole



Claire Henley



I was particularly interested in this artists work because they use quite bold and contrasting brush strokes. The appearance is quite graphic using blocks of colour. Areas of colour have been reduced to singular tones removing graduation of colour. The pieces are made in mixed media, this is what gives the definition between colours and textures. Reminded me of the work i am doing for this project. Looking at the work close up you can see each individual colour used in the piece but at a distance these colours merge together.


Jeff Rowland




I liked Jeff Rowland's paintings because he used the rain to distort objects in the scenes and to push them back. Structures in the far distance are reduced to a single tone. I would like to see if i could adopt this technique into my digital paintings. I am currently working on a painting a scene of rooftops of buildings in Bath and i am referencing from a photo that i took on location. It was raining when i captured the picture and i would like to show that in the painting and i thought Roland's work was a good example of how to do this.





No comments:

Post a Comment